2005-05-18

chicken broth

Okay, this is a no-brainer, but since I made it last night and both the 'fuzz and I went ga-ga over it, I have to post it.

Whenever you cook chicken, keep the bones or necks or scraps or whatever in a bag in the freezer. Then, when bored, put it all into a pot, along with a hacked up onion and some celery (including leaves), and "sweat" it for a bit (PMC's terminology). Cover everything with water, add peppercorns and a bay leaf. Simmer for 45 mins or more. Strain and add salt bit-by-bit until it's delicious.

In principle, you can use this, diluted, in the many soup recipes on F,NRS. In practice, it tastes so damn good, you will just eat it all right away.

3 comments:

  1. BTW, this is also the traditional evening meal served after PMC and my annual, mid-day Thanksgiving dinner, but made with the remains of a turkey rather than a chicken. All the guests claim to be "full" until they try the broth, of which we never have leftovers.

    I should note that Michael Cisco is the traditional broth chef on that traditional day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for my passover matzoh-ball soup (which, traditionally, is broth w/requisite matzoh balls, no meat). I bought some chicken feet since I had no necks, etc. and also used carrots, garlic, and a leek and simmer3ed for about 2 hours. The feet are alledgedly the most flavorful, while adding just a smidgen of fat. It indeed was delicious - at least everyone said so. I'm going to try doing it in my pressure cooker next time to see if that enhances the flavor, while cutting down on cooking time.

    Let me know, anyone, if you'd like my grandma's matzoh ball recipe (she claims it was just 'on the box' but I believe otherwise). They're easy and you don't have to be jewish (or celebrating passover) to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hogg and PMC-
    have you seen this blog?

    ReplyDelete