2005-05-18

boule of country bread II

Bread flour and terra cotta tiles make all the difference. I used about 6 cups of Robin Hood "Best for Bread Homestyle White" bread flour and half a cup of stone ground organic rye from La Milanaise mill in Quebec to 2.3 cups of tap water. (This gives a percentage of water of about 70, normalized to the weight of the flour.) Of this, two cups of bread flour and one cup of water were used, with half a teaspoon of active dry yeast (Fleischman's), to make a "sponge" the night before. This, with the rest of the flour and water and 1 tbsp of sea salt, was used to make the final dough, which was almost pourable, but that apparently is what you're after with this kind of bread.

The first rise took about three hours. I did not punch down the down but rather gingerly scraped it out onto a floured board and gently formed a boule, a disconcertingly flaccid boule. The second rise of about 45 minutes was in a muslin lined colander. Meanwhile, I covered a large jelly roll pan with a double layer of unglazed terra cotta tiles and set it in the oven to preheat at 450 degrees F.

When I put the bread in to bake, I thought, "There's no way this big floppy pancake is going to bake into anything resembling a loaf of bread." But wow! Those big air bubbles I was so careful to preserve hit the heat of the tiles and the surrounding air and up, up, up. The bread tastes great too. Hooray!

11 comments:

  1. Right on! FedEx me a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh, FedExing me a piece might be illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bioterrorism concerns aside, I can't send you any. We fell upon the loaf last night like ravenous dogs. I'll bring tiles and flour when we come down next weekend and we'll back up a loaf on-site. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's "bake up a loaf", of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I can almost smell the aroma of hot bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PMC,

    I arrive NY JUN9, depart JUN26. Let us meet in Boston to back up bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kurt and PMC, if you back up bread together in Boston, please make an extra loaf to bring down to me the following weekend.

    PMC, you kept the faith re: the flaccid boule, and look what it got you! Right On, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never blogged before, but your comments on making a boule got me motivated 'cos I've just started baking bread.

    You mention using unglazed terracotta tiles and my question is: I have glazed tiles, like the ones on a bathroom wall,but would they work if I put the boule on the terracotta side of the tile? Presumably they could take the heat, so to speak, because tiles have to be baked in the first place, yes? I'm asking this because unglazed tiles aren't easy to come by around here. It seems that using tiles would be a lot cheaper than buying a baking stone.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent question. There is often lead in the glaze used on ceramics not specifically for holding food, and I wouldn't want to risk the contamination. Also, I suspect the porosity of the unglazed tile allows a better (or a least different) bottom crust to form. As for availability, I had to buy a whole box of 6" tiles at my local building center, when what I really wanted was one 18" tile. When I'm baking, I fill a sturdy jelly roll pan with a double layer of the smaller tiles for easier handling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for this! I must admit that when I saw a load of bricks at a building site this morning it occurred to me that they might work as well, but I thought better of it.

    Now I want to try your recipe but find it a bit confusing. Is this what you did...

    Make a sponge the night before by combining:
    2 cups bread flour
    1 cup of water (lukewarm?)
    ½ tsp dry yeast

    In the morning add:
    4 cups bread flour
    ½ cup rye flour
    1.3 cup water
    1 TBsp sea salt

    Do you then let it rise for about 3 hours?
    Do you then carefully scrape it onto a floured board and gently form a boule?
    Do you then let this rise for about 45 mins in a muslin-lined colander?

    I hope you don't consider this question too daft.

    Many thanks,
    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, I just sent this message to myself -- I know because I just got an email from myself! Should that have happened?

    Did you get the email notification of the above post PMC, and if not, how do I send it to you?

    Britt

    ReplyDelete