2005-02-18

hot toddy

  • any brown alcohol (bourbon, scotch, rum, maybe even cognac?)
  • any sugar (white, brown, simple syrup, molasses, maple syrup)
  • boiling water

Put a shot of the alcohol and a pony of the sugar into a teacup and fill with boiling water. Stir.

Add butter to the rum/brown-sugar one to make a hot buttered rum (yes, it is as nasty as it sounds). Add lemon to a whiskey one to make my favorite "cold remedy".

I can't find a hot toddy I don't like. Last night I "invented" the Yankee Toddy: maple syrup, Wild Turkey, and boiling water.

4 comments:

  1. ps. A pony is a half-shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the 411- I always thought it meant 'pony keg.' This will help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know the origin of the drink's name?

    Looking for an answer, I ended up reading several of this guy's posts: http://hot-toddy.blogspot.com/. Funny.

    Made the Pirate Toddy (dark rum) again last night for ML, who's still got a cold. Personally, my shot glass only measures jiggers and I would hope that any hot toddy you ever make me will contain at least one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought that the "jigger" and "shot" are both measures that depend strongly on bartender—that's the way it should be, but if you put "one shot in ounces" into Google you get an exact conversion. I usually use about 2oz shots, or make a double (in a mug, not a teacup).

    ReplyDelete