2005-10-21

green tomato pickle

What to do with the several pounds of green beefsteak tomatoes lingering in the garden? They weren't about to ripen (we had our first frost last night), so I thought I'd give pickling a whirl. If food preservation is not an issue, pickling is certainly not rocket science. All I want is something that tastes good now.

In the proverbial nonreactive saucepan (I like enamel, personally), I put about a cup and a half of vinegar and a cup of sugar (half white, half brown), a heaping teaspoon of salt, some whole cloves and peppercorns and a whole clove of garlic. After bringing this to a boil, I added a few pounds of green tomatoes, an onion and a red pepper, all thinly sliced. Everything was simmered for around an hour until the tomatoes were translucent. In the 'fridge, this pickle would keep (I suspect) for many weeks, if not months.

Great with (what else) baked beans!

2 comments:

  1. I love home-made pickles - this sounds like a great recipe. I'll have to go find some green tomatoes though - not easy for someone without a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now what kinds of things do you cook in your non-proverbial unreactive pans?

    ReplyDelete