2005-11-04

boeuf bourguignon

  • 1 lb bacon, chopped coarsely
  • 1.5 lb onion, chopped coarsely
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 lb cheap beef, cubed
  • 0.5 lb cheap mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
  • wine, salt, pepper, bay leaf, etc

Try out the bacon and sautée the onions and garlic in the fat in an oven-proof pot. Remove the onions and bacon and reserve, making room to brown the beef in the rendered fat. Once the beef is brown, put the onions and bacon back in, and cover with a 3:1 mix of wine and water. Add about 1 tsp salt, a few (I used 8) peppercorns, a bay leaf, and maybe thyme or marjoram. Leave in a 300 F oven for 2 hr or more. Add sautéed mushrooms and put back in the oven for another 0.5 hr. Salt to taste.

I served this with sautéed spinach and PMC's favorite, Sullivan Street filone. I love this. It might be even better if either (a) I marinated the beef overnight in the wine, or (b) I put in only enough wine to cover the beef, and left the onions and bacon out until the last hour or so (so as to make a thicker sauce). But I ain't complaining.

3 comments:

  1. Your boeuf is the best, Hogg. I can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beef and wine...mmmmm. Try adding some flour to the fat and onions before pouring in the wine to get a thicker final sauce. This sauce needs to be rich and smooth, and you'll get that better with a thickener added early on than by reduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous16:02

    Actually,PMC, I think the sauce is about right, lovely to mop up with bread.

    ReplyDelete