2006-03-14

pot roast

Now this is not rocket science:

  • few tbsp fat (I used rendered bacon fat)
  • few lbs beef (I used the cheapest chuck the 'fuzz could find)
  • few onions, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc
  • salt, pepper, water

Sauté one chopped onion and the beef in the fat, turning occasionally, until the beef is brown. Then salt and pepper it very generously, add some water (I used less than 1 cup), and put in a 300 F (150 C) oven. After 2 h add vegetables, maybe peeled and quartered. Cook for another 1.5 h for a total of 3.5 h. Drain and serve with sautéed greens or equivalent, with some of the pot liquor as a sauce. Serves at least two per lb of meat.

Some would have you thicken the sauce to a gravy; I bet PMC would! Next time I might use cubed salt pork as the fat.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing what you can do with the most essential seasonings of salt, pepper, and rendered bacon fat.

    I've sat at the feet of the Master, and received Truth.

    ReplyDelete