2006-12-03

braised cabbage pasta

This recipe was made up by me in an attempt to re-create a wonderful meal made by PMC many years ago in Québec City for the 'fuzz and me. I hereby call out PMC to post the real recipe! I think this is not really a recipe, in fact, but rather a recipe algorithm, which means that you can play arbitrary games with the fat, the meat (including dropping the meat entirely), the onions, the greens, and the liquid.

  • 1/4 lb prosciutto or bacon or bresaola or equivalent
  • 2 leeks or 1 onion or a couple shallots, finely sliced
  • 1 large cabbage or 1 large bunch of collard greens, or a mixture, shredded
  • 1 glass of wine (red or white)
  • pasta for 4 (what the package says serves 6 or 8)
  • hard cheese

While the water for pasta is coming to a boil, try out the meat (I used prosciutto) in some olive oil with the shallots or equivalent (I used shallots). If you have a fatty meat, I am sure you don't need any olive oil. Once the meat is starting to get crispy, add the cabbage or equivalent (I used one small cabbage plus a small bunch of collard greens) and the wine (I used white). Mix.

While the pasta cooks, cook the cabbage and wine (and etc) mixture at pretty high heat. Make sure the pan never goes completely dry, because you are effectively "steaming" the cabbage as you sauté it. I think that is what is known as braising (PMC: am I wrong?).

When the pasta is done and the cabbage is done, mix it all in a big, oven-warmed bowl along with lots and lots of grated cheese. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.

3 comments:

  1. This is close to how I do it, but with garlic as the aromatic veg and no wine (I don't think the acidity works here). I saw Jamie Oliver make this on an episode of the Naked Chef. I found the recipe for "Farfalle With Savoy Cabbage, Pancetta, Thyme, and Mozzarella" from his book "The Naked Chef Takes Off" posted here. I don't agree with everything in the posted version, so here's how I do it. Fry off the pancetta/bacon, and don't you dare drain of that fat. Toss in garlic and some thyme and fry until fragrant. Add 1/2 lb. of savoy cabbage (nice dark green leaves), lower heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes. The cabbage braises in its own juices. Meanwhile, boil a pound of short pasta. Be sure to salt the cooking water enough; you should be able to taste the salt in the water. Hold back some of the cooking water when you drain the pasta. Dump the drained pasta and braised cabbage mixture in a large warmed bowl, add a few handfuls of grated parmesan cheese, a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir. If the dish looks dry, add a bit of the reserved pasta water. Oliver adds cubed fresh mozzarella and toasted pine nuts to his version, which would certainly takes t his to the next level. Variations on the veg theme: rapini; fennel and leek; other ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next time I made this, I just braised the cabbage in lots of butter (no wine, no meat), turning it only once or twice. The cabbage was beautifully cooked, and bits of it were sweet, crispy, and browned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: This is what I do with cabbage now: http://foodnotrockets.blogspot.com/2012/02/cabbage-and-bacon.html

    ReplyDelete