2005-03-10

chili

Again inspired by Serious Pig, I tried a Texas-style meat-only chili, adapted from Thorne's simple recipe to:

  • a 1.5 lb flank steak (I wanted to go even cheaper and nastier, but it's a long story) cut into smallish pieces
  • about 2/3 lb bacon, cut into smallish pieces
  • 1 large-ish onion
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • salt and hot pepper flakes?

I seared the meat and bacon until it was cooked all over the outside, and then some. I added the chili powder and onion and cooked it until the onions got translucent. I added some salt and a pinch of hot pepper flakes and enough water to cover it. I simmered it (covered) in a 250 F oven for a couple hours (the meat got super-tender). Then I roughed it up a bit (to make the meat fall apart) on the stove and reduced it down a bit (and added more salt to taste).

Delicious with cornbread and beer! Thorne suggests boiling beans separately and then mixing them when you serve. The chili is so rich, it can be the minority ingredient in your meal. When we eat leftovers we will use it as the filling for Sloppy Joes.

It warms you up, gives you indigestion, and makes you feel like you live in a Texas prison; I love it!

1 comment:

  1. I have eaten this chili and the baked beans and I can verfify their amazing deliciousness. Thank God for Beano!

    ReplyDelete